Wednesday, 5 August 2015

BECOMING VEGETARIAN


I thought I'd talk a little today about when I became a vegetarian and my experience in 'transitioning' into not eating meat anymore. First of all I'd like to say that I'm absolutely not an expert and have only been veggie since March this year, and if it wasn't for my friend Ciara who's been veggie for nine years giving me advice and help I would have found it harder.

So I would say that becoming vegetarian is easily one of the best decisions I've made, and I found it so much easier than I thought I would. I think because I'm doing it for a reason, that I genuinely care about animal welfare, any time I found it difficult I just thought back to my initial reasons for becoming veggie and that made me stick to it. I decided that I didn't want to support the meat industry anymore because I find it needlessly cruel and I hated the fact that every time I sat down to eat a meal an animal had to die in order for me to eat it, it just wasn't something I was comfortable with anymore. That being said, I don't have a problem with anyone else eating meat, I ate it myself for 19 years so I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I did!

I first decided to try the vegetarian lifestyle after watching a video by one of my favourite YouTubers Anastasjia Louise who talks a lot on her channel about her experiences and it just made me want to try it. I started off by slowly cutting out the meat from my diet, and for about a month I only ate meat once a week, this was to ease my body away from eating meat and to check to see if the veggie lifestyle was suitable and healthy for my body. After speaking to Ciara about replacing the meat with other things in my diet, I started to eat Quorn, a popular meat substitute that's high in protein (the 'chicken' is fantastic!). I thought these soya and Quorn substitute foods would be awful and have little taste but they're actually lovely and I love the sausages more than meat ones. After five months without meat I can honestly say that I don't miss it one bit, and I've stopped craving meat products now. I don't have to take any vitamin tablets of any kind because I replaced the meat with other things in my diet like Quorn and nuts and I'm just as healthy as I was before (maybe even more so). Some of my favourite things to eat are: jacket potatoes, omelette, cashew nuts and veggie curry (usually made with chickpeas and sweet potato).

I hope this post isn't preachy in any way, and I suppose the point that I'm trying to make is that becoming vegetarian isn't as hard as you might think, and there's plenty of stuff you can still eat. I'm still learning all the time so if you have any advice or stuff for me to try I'd love to hear from you! If you're considering being veggie give it a go, even for a week, because I promise you you'll love it!

Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment