Sunday, 9 August 2015

I LOVE COCONUT OIL

I know I'm a bit late to the party with this one (as with most things) as coconut oil and it's benefits has been floating around the internet for a while now, but I just couldn't not mention it on here because I think it's amazing! I'm going to tell you what I use it for and how it's helped me in my beauty regime.

Coconut oil is multipurpose and cheap, so I've replaced a lot of my usual beauty and skincare products with it. It's great not having that massive bundle of products to carry with you when you're travelling or to clutter up a bathroom with.

The first and most obvious use for coconut oil is as a moisturiser. Now, be careful with this one, because depending on your skin type, coconut oil might not be compatible to use every day with your skin. I have oily skin at times, so I use it after shaving or if my skin is feeling particularly dry. Another useful tip is to use it only at night time before going to sleep. It's quite oily (duh!) on the skin for a while, so if you use it at night then it'll give it time to soak in over night and leave you with luscious soft skin in the morning. Likewise, don't apply it just before doing your makeup, out of experience the makeup will just slide right off your face...

Secondly, I use coconut oil as a hair mask occasionally. Just before washing my hair I apply it all over my hair and leave it for maybe 10 minutes. I then wash it out with shampoo to get the greasiness out of my hair, use my conditioner as normal and it leaves my hair nice and soft! If my hair is feeling a bit dead and dry between washes I usually stick a little bit on the ends and leave it to disguise my split ends.

Another key use for coconut oil - and this is my favourite - is a makeup remover. I mentioned before how it makes your makeup slide off your face, this is what you want from a makeup remover right? I take a small piece (about the size of a pea) allow it to melt in my hand, then gently rub it over my face - but don't scrub! Try not to get too much in your eyes, it won't hurt them, it just makes your vision a bit cloudy when it gets on your eyeball. Moving it around my face breaks up the makeup so when I get a cotton pad and wipe the oil away the makeup comes with it. After this I usually wash my face with my cleanser to remove the oil completely and I find my face is moisturised already so I don't have to use moisturiser! You'll find that not only is this method better for moisturising your skin (better than makeup wipes anyway), it also helps strengthen your eyelashes.

I use it on my lips if they're feeling particularly dry at times. I often put a small amount on my lips and apply some lipstick over the top to create a tinted lipbalm when I don't want a really dark lip. Sometimes I find lipsticks clump on my lips when they're dry anyway so this really helps to prevent that.

Okay, I've finished kissing coconut oil's arse now (although it can kiss mine as much as it likes). I'm sure there's loads of other uses for it that I haven't discovered, so please let me know if you have any other tips.

Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment