Saturday, 15 August 2015

PHOTO DIARY

Over the summer I seem to have uncovered a new-found love for photography, something which I have always had an interest in but never had the time for. If there's one thing I've learnt at uni this year it's been the ability to find beauty and interest in unconventional places or things. In fact, one of the most important things I've learnt in my artistic education is that a good artist can make anything look beautiful, and the way you capture it makes all the difference. This summer has been filled with some rather breathtaking views, lovely walks, painfully boring days and one crippling creative block all mixed together, and these photographs are the result.

Carousel in the Lakes

Maryport Dock at night

The train track

Maryport Aquarium

Maryport Aquarium

Old Farmhouse

Muddy Puddle

The view from Dodd Wood (Derwent Water)




 It's difficult to take a bad photograph when you're stood on top of a mountain overlooking miles of picturesque little towns and countryside, and I suppose that's what my creative block felt like. I've never had one before and it took me a while to work out what was happening to me, I was still making art, still drawing and generating new ideas and such but all my work seemed rather stale and flat, like what I wanted to make wasn't coming out onto the page. It was extremely frustrating to have all these ideas running through my head and not being able to make anything that amounted to anything; everything felt like a humongous waste of time. Yes it was pretty but it wasn't what I wanted.

Anyway, how I got out of it was simple. I kept myself busy doing and experiencing things other than my art, having a laugh and surrounding myself with the people who make me the best version of me that I can be. Although I was still sketching daily (something I try to do no matter how successful the drawing is) surrounding myself with the people, places and experiences that inspire me began to have an impact on my drawings, and I began to be able to communicate visually again.

I hope you enjoy the photographs as much as I enjoyed taking them. Have you ever experienced a creative block? If I ever have one again I know how to deal with it that's for sure!

Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment