Wednesday, 12 August 2015

WHAT I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO


Today I want to talk about music. It's one of my favourite things in the world - after art of course - and I've had a constant love affair with it since I was very young. I have my parents to thank for introducing me to some classics that form the base of my music taste. My Dad for the likes of Led Zeppelin and Hendrix, and my Mam for Fleetwood Mac, ELO and Foo Fighters. I've recently expanded my music taste and found loads of new artists that I've never listened to before (I have my Spotify subscription to thank for this one); there's no greater feeling than finding a band, instantly falling in love with them and listening to their full discography non stop for the rest of the week. So here's a playlist of new and old favourites that have filled my ears this summer:
I've been loving Florence + the Machine after watching her set at Glastonbury. How can you not love an artist that shows so much passion and excitement when performing? She was so overwhelmed and thankful to be there and I can't help but respond to that with equal enthusiasm for her music. Also, Kiss with a Fist is such an empowering song and makes me walk down the street with an attitude!

I had to get Bombay Bicycle Club in there somewhere, they're my 'go-to' band that I always return to if I don't know who to listen to. Their So Long, See You Tomorrow album is utter genius and one I like to listen to as a whole, there's not many albums out there that I won't skip a single song while listening to it all the way through.

Arctic Monkeys don't need an explination because they're an old favourite and Alex Turner is a lyrical genius.

The Vaccines, Ella Eyre and Lucy Rose were all artists I got to see at Kendal Calling last week and they were all amazing so they had to get onto the playlist. Comeback (Stripped) by Ella Eyre is a beautiful song; it's just her voice and a piano and because her voice is so pure and raw it really draws you in. The same to Lucy Rose who has such a beautiful, haunting voice that sounds exactly the same live (her cover of Taylor Swift's Bad Blood is better than the original, soz!). The Vaccines were undescribable.

The Stone Roses are definitely a very summery band that never fails to make me bob my head like a maniac and smile my head off! I will never got bored of the song Waterfall, which reminds me of being at uni actually.

Everyone else on the playlist is well worth a listen if you're looking for some new music to listen to, I know when you get stuck in a rut and can't find any new artists to listen to it can be quite frustrating so hopefully here's some ideas for you. What've you been listening to this month?

Emily x


No comments:

Post a Comment